Are you visiting the U.P. or the Keweenaw to attend The Red Jacket Jamboree? There's plenty to see and do in addition to our show. Here's just a few ideas to make it a fun-filled weekend.
1. Marquette Maritime Museum: October 15th is the last day that the Marquette Maritime Museum will be open for the season. Take a tour of the museum and the lighthouse!
2. Explore the Quincy Mine in Hancock. Did you know that you can go into a real Copper Mine!? How cool is that. The Mine is located at the top of the hill north of Hancock. They also have a great gift shop.
3. The A.E. Seaman Mineral Museum, located on the campus of Michigan Technological University in Houghton, Michigan, is the official mineral museum of the state of Michigan and is a heritage site of the Keweenaw National Historical Park. The museum is definitely a must see when visiting the Keweenaw.
4. Keweenaw National Historical Park Visitor Center - Calumet. Located right at the entrance of 5th Street (Red Jacket Road) The visitor center includes three floors of interactive exhibits on Calumet's copper mining history.
5.Laurium Manor - Laurium (Across the street from Calumet) This stately manor is definitely worth visiting. Or better yet, just book a room. You'll be transported back to 1909 Laurium, that is with wifi and all the modern day amenities. Tell Dave and Julie that The Red Jacket Jamboree sent you!!
6. Brockway Mountain Drive and Copper Harbor. Whether the leaves are at their peak color or past, the view from the top of Brockway Mountain Drive is spectacular.
6. Calumet Art Center. Come take a class on birch bark ornament making at the Calumet Art Center on Saturday, October 14. It's only $25